Knowledgebase: System Management
Basic Networking for Using Collect!
Posted by Linda on 03 February 2007 06:56 AM
BASIC NETWORKING FOR USING COLLECT!|
This document tells you what to do after you have installed Collect! to your Server and you want to enable your workstations to access it. We will cover two areas of setup - what you need to do at your Server and what you need to do at each Workstation.
* You must have successfully installed Collect! on your Server. Please refer to Install Collect! For The First Time for complete installation instructions. Make sure you complete all the steps, including the section entitled "Server Startup." This will automatically give the CV11 Server your Server's IP Address.
*You should not have any additional installations of Collect! on your workstations.
At The Server
The following steps need to be performed at your Server.
1. Double-click the CV11 icon to open the Collect! program.
2. Accept the default ID and Password, OWN and own to sign into Collect!. The Welcome To Collect! screen is displayed and the RDM server will be started and minimized in your Windows taskbar.
3. Select the radio button labeled Shared to set your Database access mode. This allows multiple users to sign into the database.
4. Select the SELECT DATABASE button and select Master database. You may need to use your UP arrow to see all the options. Select OK and ensure that the field labeled Database to Open displays the word MASTER. This is your working database.
5. Select the button labeled Start to sign into Collect! This will ensure that you are able to access your database.
6. Quit Collect! all the way back to your Desktop. Leave the CV11 Server (rds.exe) running on your server so that you can test the shortcut we are going to create on your workstation Desktop.
7. On your server, create a share for the folder containing Collect!. This will permit workstations to find the shared Collect! program. The share should have read/write access for all users of Collect!
At The Workstation
The following steps are performed at each workstation that needs to access Collect!.
1. Each workstation needs a shortcut pointing to the shared Collect! program on your server.
The shortcut typically contains a target like this:
2. To create a shortcut use My Network Places or Network Neighborhood on your Desktop.
3. Search in Entire Network for your server and find the CV11 folder you shared when setting up your server.
4. In the CV11\bin folder double-click the cv11.exe file to run Collect!
5. If Collect! runs successfully in the step above, highlight the cv11.exe entry you used and right-click it. A context menu will appear.
6. From the context menu, choose Send To - Desktop (create shortcut) to send the shortcut to your workstation's Desktop. This shortcut is all that Collect! needs to have installed on a workstation.
7. Leave the workstation signed in and go to the server. Sign into Collect! on the server. If you can do this while still signed in at your workstation, you have successfully created a multi-user installation of Collect!.
8. Repeat Steps 2 - 6 for each workstation.
Please refer to How To Troubleshoot A Slow Network for a list of areas to troubleshoot and many helpful tips to keep your network running smoothly and efficiently.